Friday, June 15, 2007

And So It Ends

This year has been a roller coaster of emotion and adventure.  I have traveled across our great nation.  I have been in the hospital in the middle of the night assisting in an emergency open heart surgery.  I have delivered 2 babies.  I have performed several vasectomies.  I have interviewed hundreds of patients. Now I am a fourth year medical student.  A senior yet again, and for the last time.  

Medical school is a terribly difficult proposition.  It involves stressing your mind and your body to the limits of fatigue.  It does take a toll and there are those that don't make it.  Here I am at the cusp of the fourth year of medical school.   In addition to school life also moves on.  Emily and I will introduce a new member into our family in February of next year. 

There is a part of me who wants to be done.   It is tough to persevere, but in the end it will be worth it.  I will be able to look back on my medical school experience and wonder how I made it through.  I look back at what I have already done and think the same thing.  For all the budding doctors out there, buckle down and get to work.  It's not easy, but when you finally have a patient who tells you that you made a difference it makes it worth it.

So ends the third year of medical school.

Samuel Grindstaff

No comments: