Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Wonderful World of Medicine

Over the past few days I have had the pleasure of being entertained by a myriad of intelectuals imparting wisdom on the practice of the art of Medicine. The topics vary from how to interprit the nuances of an EKG to treating toxidromes. In these lectures I have also had the opportunity to study the archetecture of my inner eye lid. That is not to say that I haven't learned things. For I have.

The number one thing to remember is that a physician makes a living by deciding to treat patients the best that we know how and to research new ways to treat patients better. The practice of learning all this information is daunting, which leads to point number two: understand what you know and don't be to proud to ask for what you don't. More damage is done when a physician thinks that he is doing the right thing when in reality they haven't a clue. Point number three: All of our patients will die. Unfortunately in the end all of our interventions have not cured death. So it is that we make our money by extending the life that one does have. We also like to think that we increase the quality of life by relieving suffering.

In three little points I have summed up the basics of being a doctor. I suppose that 4 years of medical school should have been enough. As it is my books will be warm and my consultants will be busy.

No comments: